Latest Posts

I Am Peonies

Stinging Nettles & Lion’s Mane Mushrooms

Five Days in Tulum (is never enough)

Early Spring Breakfast: Soft Eggs and Cortez Bottarga

Mai Chai

Rhubarb Jam: An iphoneography Pictorial

Pulling Mussels

Spring, Shoots, and Leaves: Seasonal Styling With Photographer Clarissa Westmeyer

Test shoot: Carrots

A pinch of this, a stir of that

• Categories

• Mucho Mangoes

After taking a gentle hint from fellow blogger Maybelle’s Mom of Feeding Maybelle, I’ve entered this photo of edible yellow-ness into A Taste of Yellow. A Taste of Yellow is a photo event hosted by the blog Winos and Foodies, designed as a creative means to raise awareness and support of LiveSTRONG Day within the food and wine blogging community. You can read more about A Taste of Yellow by copying and pasting the following link: http://winosandfoodies.typepad.com/my_weblog/2008/02/post.html

A Taste of Yellow is an official LiveSTRONG Day event.

I’m certain that the manner in which my father carved and peeled a mango was not a far stretch from the way he performed as a surgeon in the O.R. Deliberate precision delivered with the utmost tender care and respect for the patient, um, I mean the fruit. As I stood there hungry for mango, the task seemed interminable. Worth the wait? Absolutely. When my father took on mango detail the result was absolute perfection. No mess, no waste, just lusciously juicy, yet miraculously tidy golden fillets laid out for grabs on one of our stoneware plates.

Spring has brought a bumper crop of Mexican Ataulfo, or Champagne mangoes to my local markets. One of my favorite of mango varieties, the Ataulfo can go ripe and beyond without developing any fiber, which means what you are left with under the skin is purely tender flesh, with just a thin slip of a pit. Honey-sweet and a little bit spicy, I’ve been making short work of these sassy little numbers for the last couple of weeks.

This recipe is a riff on an amuse I created to serve at a dinner party we catered last weekend. Since it was presented as a little sipping shooter, the coconut noodles were not included. But served as a properly spooned soup course, I want this to have some texture and use of the soft, pliable flesh of young Thai coconut is perfect.

Cashew cream lends richness without the heaviness of dairy, and harmonizes with all of the tropical elements beautifully. If you don’t feel like tinkering with the young coconut, feel free to use filtered water in lieu of the coconut water, and a spoonful of tapioca pearls could make an appealing stand-in for the noodles.

Chilled Mango Soup with Lime Cashew Cream and Coconut Noodles
    Yield: Four pre-entree servings
    Bracing, racy, lush but not heavy, this soup is a perfect palate-readying opening course.

Soup ingredients:
    Flesh from two ripe Ataulfo/Champagne mangoes
    1 cup water from young Thai coconut (I’ve never opened one that didn’t have at least one cup of liquid inside)
    1 tsp. minced lemongrass, from tender inner leaves
    1 tsp. peeled, minced fresh ginger
    1 tbs. fresh lime juice
    1 tbs. agave nectar
    Seeds scraped from half of a vanilla bean
    Pinch ancho chile powder or cayenne
    Pinch sea salt

Combine all ingredients in a high-speed or other blender container. Blend until smooth. Chill.

Coconut Noodles:
    Flesh removed from one young Thai coconut, cut into julienne strips.

Lime cashew cream:
    1 cup raw cashews
    1/2 cup water, plus more if necessary
    Zest of one lime
    1-2 tsp. fresh lime juice
    Little pinch of sea salt

Place all ingredients in a high-speed or other blender. Blend until smooth and creamy, adding more water to thin if necessary.

To Serve:
    Place a portion of the coconut noodles in the bottom of each bowl. Top off with chilled mango soup. Swirl or dollop with the cashew cream.

Note: I can imagine that a spoonful of the soup base placed in a glass flute topped off with a crisp, dry champagne or another sparkler would make a *WOW* unbelievable take on the Bellini cocktail. Champagne mangoes and champagne, anyone?

11 Comments

1. cook eat FRET
      Posted April 16, 2008 at 9:25 am | Permalink

i was raw vegan for 4 months last year
      i bought every book
      made a ton of recipes

this sounds just absolutely wonderful…

2. Life in Recipes
      Posted April 16, 2008 at 10:14 am | Permalink

CEF-I’m not raw, not vegan, though I do eat that way much of the time. I fell for some of the raw principles ‘cos they just taste so darned good and make me feel the same. I would not as quickly discovered the Thai coconut or agave nectar without some of those books for guides and inspiration. Looking forward to the new Matthew Kenney one, Everyday Raw. Just in time for Summer

3. Michelle
      Posted April 16, 2008 at 12:46 pm | Permalink

I just started reading Alissa Cohen’s Living on Live Food. The whole idea is compelling but I have commitment phobia when it comes to labeling myself “vegetarian” or “vegan” or whatever. But new recipes and techniques? I’m in!

4. Hillary
      Posted April 16, 2008 at 4:00 pm | Permalink

I love the bubbles and color of this soup – I bet it tastes fantastic. I just had some mango sorbet yesterday and it was my first time having mango in awhile.

5. michelle @ TNS
      Posted April 16, 2008 at 8:42 pm | Permalink

this? is something that i want immediately.

would it work with passionfruit? not that i don’t want the mango too.

cashew cream. drool.

6. matt wright
      Posted April 17, 2008 at 12:48 am | Permalink

This is going to be my new summer soup. OUTSTANDING!!

7. Life in Recipes
      Posted April 17, 2008 at 6:52 am | Permalink

Michelle-that’s what the cooking journey is about for me. I live for exploring cuisines, and by approaching veganism and raw food-ism as cuisines and not diet, I’ve discovered many enriching flavors and techniques that I now incorporate as daily routine.

Hillary – thanks for finding me. I love how that cute little bubble popped up just for the camera.

Michelle – Funny, I was thinking how the whole of the soup base comes off tasting much like passion fruit. I don’t see why you could not use passion fruit, but adjust up accordingly on the sweetener since passion fruit is more tart than mango.And the texture might be a little different. This shouldn’t be SO sweet that you think “dessert”. Try it and see!

Matt- Thanks for the visit! Sounds like you’ll have a delicious summer.

8. Katie B.
      Posted April 17, 2008 at 8:57 am | Permalink

What a fabulous idea! I have seen champagne mangoes at my grocery before – I will have to seek them out!

9. candyce
      Posted April 17, 2008 at 3:15 pm | Permalink

Yum! This looks delicious!

10. Barbara
      Posted April 20, 2008 at 8:03 pm | Permalink

This morning I lay in bed counting on my fingers how many months to mango season. Only 5:)

Thnaks for supporting LiveSTRONG With A Taste Of Yellow.

11. life in recipes
      Posted April 21, 2008 at 7:24 am | Permalink

Katie B. and Candyce: Good to have you here.

Barbara: Thank YOU for hosting such a inspirational event for LiveSTRONG. It’s an honor to participate.